I consider myself a trashy reality TV connoisseur and have just about had it with the reality shows Australia is currently producing.
The likes of Yummy Mummies are giving trashy reality TV a bad name!
I’m here to help people, so I’ve come up with a list of my favourite reality shows for you to explore at your own leisure.
Please note: I’m sure I have lost you by now, but people who take themselves too seriously needn’t continue reading. These shows aren’t intended to be intellectual masterpieces and are something you can just watch without thinking too hard.
My top five trashy reality TV shows
- The Real Housewives: I couldn’t just pick one series of the Real Housewives because they are equally good in their own way. Explore the lives and constant fights of some of the richest women in the world. There are more than 10 instalments of the show but my favourites include Beverly Hills, New Jersey, Melbourne and Sydney. Memorable quote: “Go and combust in a corner” – Real Housewives of Melbourne, Gina Liano.
- Rupaul’s Drag Race: This American reality show sees a group of drag queens compete in a number of challenges to be crowned the next drag superstar. It’s like a mix of America’s Next Top Model and Project Runway but on steroids. Memorable quote: “If you can’t love hourself, how the hell are you going to love somebody else?” – Rupaul.
- Dance Moms: This show has been running since 2011 and follows the training and performances of dance students at the Abby Lee Dance Academy. It also gives us a fly-on-the-wall look at the confrontations between controversial dance teacher Abby Lee Miller and her students’ mothers. Dancing is a cut-throat industry and every mother wants their child to succeed. Adding to the drama in later seasons are Miller’s legal woes which have landed her in prison. Memorable quote: “Kids should cry when their arm is broken and it’s hanging off or somebody died” – Abby Lee Miller.
- Mob Wives: I was devastated when this show was axed after six seasons. This show is no joke! The women are real-life wives and daughters of convicted felons. Renee Graziano is one of the stars and her father Anthony Graziano is a former consigliere of the Bonanno crime family. Her former husband turned his back on the mob and become an informant giving evidence against the Grazianos which all played out on the show. Juicy stuff! Memorable quote: “Water is for fish, I’ll drink this (vodka)” — Angela “Big Ang” Raiola.
- Here Comes Honey Boo Boo: You better redneckonise! The show follows the life of self-described redneck Thompson family. Alana “Honey Boo Boo” Thompson rose to fame on Toddlers and Tiaras so we get a glimpse into the life of child beauty pageant. However, Alana soon gave up on pageants and the show then just focused on their adventures in their home town of McIntyre, Georgia. Memorable quote: “Etiquette classes are for stupid people” – Honey Boo Boo.
- Honourable mentions: Jersey Shore, Big Brother, Keeping up with the Kardashians, Kathy Griffin: My Life on the D List.